One in three men over the age of 60 will fracture a bone because of osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is the weakening and thinning of the bones due to age related changes and decline in testosterone in some men.
Guidelines for Exercises to Prevent Osteoporosis
• Exercises need to be moderate to high osteogenic to continue to stimulate healthy bone growth.
• Exercise at least 3 x /week for 30 mins.
• Exercises should be progressed, e.g. increase weight used, increase the hill intensity, increase time, distance etc.
• Exercises should be challenging to stimulate bone growth.
• Exercises should be varied in their routines.
Balance Exercises to Prevent Falls
It is important to incorporate balance exercises as part of an exercise regime to help improve proprioception.
Reduced strength, balance, poor vision and tripping hazards around the home can cause falls. Women and men with low bone mass are at greater risk of fractures.