What causes wrist and hand pain?
During pregnancy your muscles and ligaments can become stretchy and weak. This places extra stress on the joints, causing inflammation and pain in your wrist and hand. In pregnancy you have an increase in fluid retention and this can create more pressure in the joints and places extra stress on the already stretched muscles.
Symptoms of wrist and hand pain in pregnancy
- Pain with gripping, turn the key or making a fist
- Tingling in hands or fingers
- Pain that may radiate from the thumb, wrist or up the forearm
- Difficulty picking up objects/su_list]
Tips on managing your wrist pain at home:
- Ice on wrist and hand
- Adjusting your desk position to make sure you do not have to overreach or stretch
- Avoid carrying heavy items in your hands, try using a shoulder bag
- Tapes or braces to help offload the muscles in your wrist and hand