Mastitis is inflammation of the milk ducts.
The inflammation is the result of milk flowing backwards through the ducts and into the breast tissue. This is due to an increase in pressure in the milk ducts. Breast milk contains protein. When the milk enters the breast tissue, the protein is recognized as “foreign” and creates an inflammatory response in this tissue.
Signs and Symptoms of Mastitis?
• Fatigue and generally feeling unwell
*These are all the signs of inflammation and infection
Treatment of Mastitis
1. Therapeutic Ultrasound from a qualified Lactation Physiotherapist.
2. Rest. Treat your condition like you have the flu. Rest in bed and only
look after you and your baby until the symptoms pass.
3. Ice. Use cold packs every 2hrs for 15-20 mins to help with pain and swelling.
4. Massage. Gently massage the breast towards the armpit. Use as much pressure as you would to stroke a cat or dog.
For more information check our resource pages: